If you are like me then you are starting to think about New Year Resolutions. I really do believe that this is a great time to start thinking about spiritual goals for 2012. I have a few ideas/suggestions below to help you this new year.
- Start a Quiet Time: My best suggestion for you is to get up early in the morning and spend time in your Bible. I know this is easier said than done so here is what you need to do to accomplish this goal: 1) go to bed early the night before, 2) set an alarm across the room from your bed, 3) make your coffee/tea/diet coke the night before, 4) clear off a place before you go to bed to have your quiet time, 5) make a plan for your quiet time today (what are you going to read, study, mediate, etc…). Personal experience has taught me that to accomplish this discipline I need to be more mindful about everything leading up to a morning devotion.
- Start Discipling Your Family: If this is fresh on your mind and heart and you don’t know where to start, I highly recommend Intentional Parenting by Tad Thompson. This is a short and straightforward read with great advice for parents.
- Start Family Devotions: My best suggestion for you here is to do this after dinner (at the dinner table) or before the kids go to sleep. Click here for some suggested material.
- Start Reading Good Christian Books: There are a lot of good ones out there but I will recommend four (in order of difficult to easiest): Knowing God by J.I. Packer; The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges; Kings Cross by Tim Keller and Vintage Jesus by Mark Driscoll. Read for 15-20 minutes before you go to bed – you will be amazed at how much you can get read in a few weeks! Free Tip: move the TV out of your room – you don’t need it there – and move distracting electronic devices away from you.
- Start Saying No: Whether you are single or have a family, what can you say no to this year? Better yet, what do you need to cut out of your life/schedule so that you can accomplish your spiritual goals?
I hope there are a few things to motivate/help you as you get started on your spiritual goals for the 2012!
Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love,
for in you I trust.
Make me know the way I should go,
for to you I lift up my soul.
(Psalm 143:8 ESV)